Regional Director, Community Development – Colorado
Position: Regional Director, Community Development – CO
Department: Financial Development
Reports to: VP of Philanthropy
Purpose of the Position: The Regional Director of Community Development and Philanthropy is responsible for developing and executing an overall growth strategy within his/her respective market utilizing data and metrics to determine opportunities for growth in community involvement to include volunteer engagement, significant revenue generation and development of strong community relationships and partnerships.
The Director will build and manage key relationships in the community with organizations, parents, school leaders, corporations and members and other community opinion leaders to build a locally based Learning Ally community network that enlists involvement and support that advances philanthropic investment, expands services for our students and families, and broadens public awareness of Learning Ally and its impact. In partnership with local studio and youth services, staff t the Director is responsible for leading volunteer engagement in the community that implements fundraising strategies to generate substantial resources for Learning Ally’s programs and services. The Director is accountable for achieving annual fundraising goals in the assigned community market, including execution of the fund raising plan to meet financial goals for National Achievement Awards (NAA) Gala which will be held in targeted geographic areas and rotate on a two year cycle.
The Director will work collaboratively with other Learning Ally staff working directly with schools and parents to build networks and provide support for those who have children with learning disabilities or who are blind and visually impaired. The Director will also develop and maintain effective relationships with a number of key stakeholders in the community in a collaborative approach with organizational colleagues. The Director will be part of a larger national organizational leadership team based in Princeton, NJ and will work with a team of staff members across the country to achieve both regional and organizational goals.
Primary Position Objectives:
- Lead the development, execution and management of major gifts in Colorado and National Achievement Awards (NAA) Gala fundraising strategies aligned with constituent engagement and outreach to achieve greater than $1M in annual contributions within Colorado.
- Lead a cross functional team to develop and implement a plan that achieves our student success goals for Colorado. Plan will include the engagement of various community constituents that help drive Learning Ally Services in both schools and direct to parents.
- Create, recruit, implement and manage a volunteer led committee of influence and capacity that assumes responsibility for helping build Learning Ally services in the community and producing a successful NAA gala and achieving financial targets. Develop a strategy to attract and engage with a coalition of volunteers who extend Learning Ally services and program impact. Conduct community mapping of target areas to tap into interested parties and collaborative partners to better position Learning Ally and increase public perception of being a valuable community resource. Manage, coordinate and provide ongoing evaluation of strategic community engagement tactics, to achieve established revenue goals and align with the organization’s products and services goals.
- Partner with the VP of Philanthropy and Director of Foundations to leverage existing and develop new fundraising opportunities with corporations and family foundations (coordinated with FD team members) targeting gifts of $5,000 and above.
- Develop and execute strategies to grow community presence, local volunteer involvement and ownership, stakeholder engagement and advance community relationships that support Learning Ally’s funding potential, major gift prospect development.
- Recruit key people of community influence to network and advocate on behalf of Learning Ally, building relationships with local schools, parents, volunteers, donors, corporations and public officials.
- Conduct community mapping of target areas to foster participation and partnership with interested parties to better position Learning Ally’s effectiveness in delivering student success in each respective community within the assigned territory. Identify market potential and growth areas based upon community interest and potential for philanthropic funding.
- Collaborate with the Community Engagement and Education Solutions team to develop and execute integrated plans to build viable, effective long term service to the community and foster broad and diverse volunteer involvement and support of Learning Ally.
- Track and report on all donor communication and engagement in accordance with policies and procedures of the organization’s Financial Development operations.
- Participate on and engage with cross functional teams and be a member of the Financial Development team.
- Assume role as key account manager for significant relationships in all areas of Learning Ally business within the assigned geography, leveraging all aspects of local operations, activities and contacts to support philanthropic program growth in Colorado.
- Foster a working environment that supports Learning Ally’s cultural values. Act as a role model and engage in discussions and feedback to ensure the intent of the culture statement is integrated into day-to-day activities, planning and communications.
- Participate in other Learning Ally activities as required to achieve organizational goals.
Bachelor’s degree required.
Minimum of 7 to 10 years’ experience in non-profit volunteer management in Colorado, community organization and fundraising, specifically in major gifts, sponsorship and special events, preferably working for a regional operation of a nationally based non-profit. Must have demonstrated success in achieving ambitious revenue goals and working with volunteers to execute the organizational strategy and expand the community network of support. Demonstrated experience in building program and service delivery for an organization or business within the assigned region is strongly preferred.
- Committed to organizational mission
- Significant Volunteer Management Experience
- Track record in community organization and volunteer accountability
- Proven relationship building experience
- Successful fund raising event management; particularly with premiere signature gala/dinner affairs
- Demonstrated creativity and “out of the box” thinking on strategies and plans to engage and retain donors. Strong donor focus and understanding of how to effectively manage ongoing donor relationships
- Demonstrated capability in operational planning –work plans with objectives and timelines and accountabilities to support meeting goals
- Demonstrated excellence in writing (including proposal development), as well as oral and formal presentation skills
- Must possess experience in working and socializing with senior level executives and people of influence in the market
- Self-motivated, goal oriented, ability to work independently and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong computer skills including above average competency on donor management (Raisers Edge) systems and other office products
- Ability to communicate Learning Ally’s mission support platforms with authenticity, influence and value
- Strong work ethic, evidence of good judgment, attention to detail timelines and follow through
- Reputation for integrity and commitment
- Demonstrated effectiveness in cross functional collaborative team management and peer interaction
- Capable of delivering exceptional internal and external customer service
Local travel is at least 50%, travel to National Headquarters Office in Princeton, NJ at least quarterly.
This job operates in a professional office environment and on the road within the local region. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
Creativity & Innovation
Functional & Technical Skills