Regional Director, Community Development – Colorado
Position: Studio Leader
Department: Production and Technology
Location: Denver, Colorado
Reports to: GeoHub Director
Purpose of the Position:
Learning Ally seeks to hire a dynamic and creative leader who will continue to build a strong local community comprised of volunteers that include narrators, teachers, students and other individuals that are committed to helping people overcome a learning difference. This leader should have a proven ability to build community combined with the logistics skills to put everyone to work in a way that maximizes their skills in pursuit of our mission.
Through effective management of local studio staff, volunteers and resources, the Studio Leader is responsible for achieving book production goals to meet national member needs, including collaboration with the Virtual Studio and Subject Area Communities, and creating a community of giving within the volunteer community, as well as other stakeholders, including Parents, YES! members and teachers.
In collaboration with other Learning Ally departments, the Studio Leader provides a local presence for Learning Ally community engagement initiatives and events, as well as helping to promote its products and services. In addition, the Studio Leader oversees the maintenance and security of the Learning Ally facility.
Primary Position Objectives:
Recruit and engage volunteers in the Learning Ally community
- Engage local volunteers; work to ensure they understand not just how we produce audiobooks, but why and how it changes the lives of our member students; communicate often with volunteers about the broader organization and connect them as much as possible to the members and student success; engage and move them along the “curve of engagement.
Partner with other Learning Ally teams to lead the local recruiting and training volunteers in your studio or area in the necessary processes and software. Integrate recruitment program between studio and virtual volunteers, building the connectors needed to ensure the correct skills are recruited, and volunteers are effectively put to work in the process.
- Volunteers fully understand the why of our organization.
- Volunteers are moved along the curve of engagement and philanthropy.
- Communication with volunteers occurs often via appropriate channels, including email and social media, and connects them to the members and their success as well as the broader organization events and efforts toward that end.
- Work with other departments and staff in leading annual fundraising efforts at your location.
Develop and maintain ongoing recruitment and retention plans with quantifiable goals based on local and national needs; conduct orientations on a regular basis for new volunteers.
- Volunteers are referred to the virtual studio and communities in growing numbers as capacity is available.
- Volunteers are well trained.
Develop production plans and schedules to meet book production goals. Review and analyze workloads, capacity, and costs to achieve optimum operating environment. Implement organization-wide quality control procedures to ensure audio production meets quality standards as to reading accuracy and audio signal quality. Review and analyze production management reports (BooQ system) for short- and long-term planning. Communicate any capacity changes or assignment issues to Production Planning & Scheduling. Establish hours of operations and maintain studio opening and closing procedures.
- Recruitment goals are met, and results match targeted needs.
- Recruitment plans are communicated to local studio staff.
- Orientation follow up procedures are in place.
- Produce high quality audio books in support of our members.
Management reports and production data (BooQ system) are reviewed regularly.
Production goals are met.
Quality standards are met.
National production conventions are followed.
Collaboration on multi-studio and contract projects.
Manage production staff; maintain work schedules and assignments to ensure maximum use of resources for recording sessions.
Manage volunteers; maintain volunteer schedules; provide volunteer job descriptions; provide performance feedback; maintain training program for various volunteer jobs; assign jobs to volunteers; manage formal administration of reading auditions and evaluations; supervise maintenance of studio’s volunteer management database; support the national volunteer recognition program by coordinating local events and initiatives.
- Staff is well trained (cross-trained where appropriate).
- Staff is knowledgeable in Learning Ally reading conventions and quality standards.
- Staff hours are consistent with other studios of similar size, hours of operations, and hiring is coordinated through the Human Resources Department.
Purchase, maintain and audit all production equipment and software in coordination with Production Training & Support (PT&S) staff. Install new tools and upgrades. Use the Help Desk system to request support for production equipment and tools. Utilize PT&S contacts for emergency and off-hours phone support.
- Volunteers are well trained (cross-trained where appropriate).
- Volunteers are knowledgeable in Learning Ally reading conventions and quality standards.
- Volunteer data is entered accurately and in a timely manner.
- Log of volunteer hours is maintained apart from volunteer management database.
- Volunteer recognition program is implemented.
- Quality issues are communicated to volunteers.
- Refresher training sessions are held for volunteers as needed.
Oversee maintenance and security of the facility. Provide a clean, safe working environment for staff and volunteers. Communicate any facility issues to the Operations and Facilities Director and local property management to assist in resolution. Include studio maintenance expenses in annual budget. Where applicable, i.e. Learning Ally owned property, coordinate cleaning, grounds maintenance, and heating and ventilation vendors.
- Running latest version of all production software.
- Nightly back up is running and checked regularly.
- No unauthorized software or hardware is installed on systems or network.
- All technical support is conducted through headquarters staff.
Work collaboratively across functions and geographies to promote Learning Ally products and services at the local level.
- Staff and volunteers follow safe working procedures.
- Equipment and systems are working effectively.
- Electrical cords, plugs and receptacles are in good condition.
- Floors are clean and all cords are routed to avoid tripping.
- Aisles and exit paths are clear.
- Fire extinguishers are accessible, serviced regularly and tags are up-to-date.
- Exit doors are accessible and properly marked.
Recommend ways to improve processes, communications and conventions. Represent the Production Studio to the broader production community as well as other departments and at management meetings.
- Engage in local activities that support national initiatives.
- Recommendations are made in how best to implement national initiatives at the local level.
Responsible for ensuring organizational goals, departmental priorities and performance expectations are clearly communicated. All reporting staff understands and is working effectively toward business goals and individual objectives, and development plans are focused on these priorities. Foster a working environment that supports Learning Ally’s cultural values. Act as a role model and engage in regular discussions and feedback to ensure the intent of the culture statement is integrated into day-to-day activities, planning and communications.
- Recommendations are well thought out, researched with plans that can be implemented across multiple studios.
- Information about production operations is clearly articulated to other areas.
Responsible for selecting, managing, coaching, evaluating and developing staff to meet individual, departmental and organizational goals. Implement ongoing staff engagement activities, and ensure clear communication channels are in place.
- Regular staff meetings and updates are held. PPD forms reflect cascaded goal-orientated objectives. Success factor and competency reviews highlight specific work examples. Studio staff works as a team toward organizational and departmental goals.
Participate in other Learning Ally activities as required to achieve organizational goals.
- Training and development needs are mutually identified, and individual development plans are in place and monitored for completion. Staff is provided with frequent, two-way, written and verbal feedback.
Responsible for implementing community engagement plan in Colorado to effectively create donors.
- Activities are performed according to the particulars of the task and within required timeframes.
- Monthly tracking of metrics against plan.
Bachelor degree or equivalent.
Past experience with a non-profit, political community organizing or community building is a plus
Experience with audio production techniques is a plus
2-4 years managerial experience
Proven experience in managing developing, coaching and motivating staff
Ability to foster an environment of positive teamwork
Ability to inspire staff and help them succeed
- Strong team building, teamwork and collaboration skills
- Excellent presentation, oral & written communication skills
- Experience in planning and scheduling
- Strong knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.), Google apps, and desktop applications
- Self-starter with demonstrated effectiveness in multi-tasking and collaborative environment
- Proven track record of achieving performance objectives
- Proven office management skills
- Strong problem solving skills
Less than 5% travel
This job operates in a professional office environment and on the road within the local region. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.