Database Administrator (DBA)
Location: Princeton, NJ or remote
Reports to: VP, Technology
Purpose of Position:
Working collaboratively with the IT team, the DBA is an expert in the
Learning Ally IT Production Database Systems. DBA will also create and support the reporting platform
and reporting front end development.
Primary Position Objectives:
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures; contribute to and maintain
system standards; create and maintain documentation as it relates to configurations.
- Work with business and IT partners to eliminate system and application inefficiencies by
identifying and resolving routine problems through utilization of various database analysis tools
and monitoring of the system to ensure an efficient operation environment.
- Develop, manage, test and tune back-up and recovery plans, SQL Server Replication and High
- Refine physical design of databases to meet storage requirements.
- Ensure databases meet audit and security standards.
- Deploy database change scripts provided by third party vendors.
- Automate processes with tools internal and external to SQL Server.
- Work closely with developers and BI team in writing SQL and optimizing database access.
- Patch, upgrade, and migrate SQL Server instances.
- Support for Disaster Recovery (DR) and business continuity of DB system.
- Liaise with network administrators, systems analysts, and software engineers to assist in
resolving problems with company software systems.
Bachelor's Degree with a technical focus preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in a hands-on technology role as DBA.
- Experience with products and services which directly touch end-users and be comfortable with a
high-level of customer interaction.
- Proven track record of delivering products on time and budget.
- Proven Track Record for successful software development and deployments.
- Experience in the areas of EdTech, audio-books, accessibility, digital publications, ebooks with text a
Specific Technology Skills/Knowledge
- 5+ years of IT industry experience.
- Experience with setting up, maintaining and troubleshooting databases in a High Availability
environment. (Always ON is used).
- Experience on performance monitoring and tuning.
- Must have strong understanding of information security principles and practices as it relates to data
administration, storage, transmission, retention and utilization of data.
- Be flexible, self-motivated, proactive and results oriented.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple requests to ensure timely response to the users.
- Establish and maintain a high level of peer trust and confidence and maintain positive customer
- Team orientated, willing to share knowledge and collaborate with peers.
- Analytical and problem solving skills with keen attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Broad knowledge of business analysis procedures and IT project lifecycle management.
- Experience implementing and delivering technology projects by leveraging agile development methodologies; including Scrum preferred.
- Proven working knowledge of SQL tools, and Database best practices.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills. In addition, must be able to comprehend and manage data
mappings and transformation among multiple systems
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and facilitation skills.
- Ability to successfully collaborate with multiple levels of management, project team members and
internal and external clients.
- Strong ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects.
- Strong decision making ability.
- Strong time management skills.
- Excellent oral communication skills to present technical solutions in business terms.
10% or less
General office environment. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require standing and
walking for up to 10% of the time. The working environment is generally favorable. Lighting and
temperature are adequate, with no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot
encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required
to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably
assigned by his/her supervisor.
Learning Ally Benefits:
Learning Ally offers an excellent benefits package that starts on the first day of the month following your employment date. This includes:
- Medical benefits - 100% employee and dependent coverage
- Dental & Vision benefits
- Short-term and Long-term disabilities benefits
- Life insurance benefits
- 401k Plan - to be implemented
- 15 days PTO per calendar year ;(includes vacation and sick days)